Investment of a Lifetime
Girls on the Run of Lancaster is a non-profit, 501(c)(3), character development program. Our mission is to prepare and educate girls for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living. The 10 week curriculum addresses the “whole self”: mental, emotional, social and physical. Throughout the season the girls are training for a 5k which is the culmination of the program.
Girls on the Run of Lancaster started in the Fall 2009 and is in it’s third year here having already reached over 1,000 girls empowering them to reach their potential. We are one of 174 councils providing this program across North America engaging girls 99,900 spring in this life-changing experience. Girls on the Run International has measured the outcomes girls have experienced and reports that the quantitative results show statistical significant improvement in girls’ self-esteem, body image and attitude toward physical activity. The intangibles the girls receive are immeasurable as witnessed by the positive changes parents, caregivers, teachers, principals, and coaches see as the 10 weeks progress.
The cost of the program can be offset by scholarship opportunities. All girls will benefit from the curriculum and we feel strongly about providing the program to all girls, regardless of limitations. Parents/caregivers can choose to pay what their family situation allows, based on the honor system. Last season 63% of our girls utilized our scholarship program. We feel confident and trust that every girl will have a positive experience and the outcomes will far outweigh the investment.
The registration fees support the following areas:
Each girl receives:
- a season t-shirt
- a race t-shirt
- is registered for the 5k at no cost
- end of season gift
- gifts from national sponsors
- a medal as they finish 5k
- Grown_up Guide for parents
- a lifetime of confidence and the power to walk tall
The fee covers:
- liability insurance to protect the girls and coaches
- CPR/First Aid training for all Head Coaches
- background checks on every volunteer (over 500)
- intensive coaches’ training
- copies of curriculum binders
- coaches’ boxes containing materials for the season
- 5k race day pre-race primping materials
- end of season gathering of teams
- supplies and thank you note materials for girls to use
- Girls on the Run International annual renewal fee
Girls on the Run is giving girls the tools to navigate the Girl Box (that place where girls go somewhere between 3rd-8th grade when they begin losing their true authentic selves).
At Girls on the Run girls learn to:
-celebrate their bodies,
-honor their voices,
-recognize their gifts,
and, activate their power!
Click here for a printable version of this page to share with others.